Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Work in Progress!

Well, I haven't been on here in a while.  I just haven't felt very creative lately, kind of down and discouraged actually.  It's really quite stressful to not have a job.  This was totally my decision, and I really do feel it was for the best.  I could go on and on about all that teachers have to go through, but it seems that only teachers understand that (or the family members that have to live with them).  It's an amazing feeling when you see kids learning, but it really is the job that never ends.  You take it home with you, sleep with it, dream about it, eat if for breakfast, and then do it all over again - even on the weekends.  Your reward?  Seeing growth, which is pretty darn cool.  For the last 11 years, that's what I've been.  A teacher.  Now what am I?  A sub?  Am I still a teacher?  Once a teacher, always a teacher?  It's the only "real" job I've had.  It defines me.  I'm beginning to learn that I am so much more, and it's starting to feel okay.

I've been trying some new things (I'll share some other time), and it's really been pushing me out of my comfort zone.  I literally have to talk myself through some things.  I do this in my own head, so I don't appear too crazy.  The last week has been rough, but a few days ago I took inventory.  I realized that I was making growth.  Not bad.  Things that seemed difficult were becoming much easier. Yes, I got this.  Little by little.  And as time goes on, I'm sure I will open up and share more.  This is a start, right?

Anyway, yesterday was a good day.  I think I might be back on track.  I finished my hummingbird feeder and got started on some new stuff.  The Etsy shop is almost ready. We are getting there.  I'm breathing (that's good), meditating, exercising, and beginning to be creative again.   Check out the hummingbird feeder.
I started with yellow alcohol ink on an empty wine bottle.  It was rough having to drink the wine., but I managed.  I had to try out several bottles until I found the right one.


Then I added red alcohol ink.  I loved the way it looked here.


I painted on a sealer which made the colors bleed.  I later used a spray (not water based) sealer that worked much better, but I don't have a picture of that one.  Then I wrapped it in wire.  I should probably take a class on that because I'm obviously not so great at it.

Now it's hanging in the backyard.  I'm just waiting for some hummingbirds to love it so I can take a picture.  I need to practice patience anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment