Friday, September 21, 2012

ALCOHOL ink!

Fooled you with that one!  This is a project, not a drink.  Although a nice cold something sounds fabulous right now.  It's almost the first day of fall, but it felt like a hot, humid summer day to me.  Today was another subbing day in fourth grade, and it was actually a pretty good day.  Sometimes those kids surprise me.  They definitely keep you on your toes.  Taking this year off is the best thing I've done.  I realize that every time I go in.  It was a break that was much needed, and I intend to make the best of it.  Having no money is a little stressful, but hey, that's when those thrift stores come in handy.

Now onto some more creative things.  I absolutely love hummingbirds.  I've seen a handful in my backyard and decided a while back that I wanted to make a feeder for them.  After spending hours on Pinterest (and you know how easy that is to do), I discovered alcohol ink.  I thought that would be the perfect medium to apply on a glass bottle for a hummingbird feeder.  I've never used it before; therefore, today was dedicated to some experimentation.  I used Ranger ink and applicators that I got from Michaels.  I applied them to white ceramic tiles (these were a deal for 13 cents at Home Depot) and glass marbles.  The pictures are below.  Now I at least feel comfortable enough to start on the hummingbird feeder.  But that's for another day.   See you soon!

Alcohol ink and applicator
First practice - I used every color I had.  That's how I used to color my Easter eggs as a kid.  Hmmm...they always turned gray.  I was glad to see that this didn't.

For these I applied the ink differently and tried some color combinations, as opposed the entire rainbow.

Then I thought I'd give glass marbles a try.  They looked pretty cool in the sunshine!


4 comments:

  1. When will we see the feeder? Can't wait.....Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope to have it done within the next few days.

      Delete